BLOG: THE IMPACT OF CARBON BUILD-UP ON YOUR ENGINE
Everything you need to know about why and how you can prevent it ...
DID YOU KNOW THAT CARBON BUILD-UP IS AN ISSUE THAT MOSTLY OCCURS IN NEWER ‘DIRECT INJECTION’ VEHICLES?
Carbon build-up occurs when your car’s fuel and engine air intake mix together, before producing the controlled burn that powers a vehicle. Often when these two components are mixed together, it produces carbon that accumulates in the air intake, combustion chamber, and exhaust system. The result of this carbon build-up is mostly restricted airflow that causes an array of car problems.
These would include:
- Sluggish, vehicle performance
- Engine vibration or shaking
- Poor fuel economy
- Cold start misfires and loss of power
- Engine light warning
- Car jerking
What are the varying causes of carbon build-up?
- Stop and go traffic
- Low-grade gasoline
- Continuous short trips
- Metals from fuel
- Emission control systems
- The ratio of ‘Fuel to Air’ is incorrect
How do you prevent carbon build-up?
- Regular oil changes will not only help prevent carbon build-up, but it will also save your engine from on-going performance issues.
- Using the correct fuel for your vehicle that is recommended by the manufacturer will also prevent this problem.
- Occasionally taking your car on a faster and longer drive, if you regularly use it for short commuter drives.
- A good engine clean, which is a part of your regular maintenance check is necessary for any driver who owns a ‘Direct Injection’ vehicle.
How do you fix carbon build-up?
- If you are experiencing engine issues, we highly recommend taking your vehicle to your local Tony White Dealership, where one of our trained professionals can inspect the problem. If it is found that a carbon build-up is an issue, our trained mechanics will have to remove the intake manifold of your engine and manually clean it out.
If you have any further questions regarding carbon build-up in your vehicle, feel free to contact our friendly team! With over 25 dealerships located across Australia’s Eastern States, there will always be a Tony White Specialist who can help you.